1.18.2008

Please, NO Mr. Policeman!

Today marks a day in the history of me. It was my first time to get pulled over. Ever.

I was happily chatting away with Mom on the phone this afternoon, when I rolled on past (maybe just a little too quickly) Mr. Policeman. I knew I was going just a tad over the speed limit, so I ended our conversation as well as any extra pressure on the gas, and hoped for the best. I was only about 500 feet from Burgerville (which was my destination), but when I turned in, so did he. Crud. I decided that might have been a coincidence, so I found a parking spot. He proceeded to occupy the one next to me. Hmph.

Our conversation went something like this:

Mr. Policeman: Do you know why I pulled you over?
me: Yes. I mean, I think so. (I've been told you're not supposed to admit guilt, hence the reason why I changed my answer.)
Mr. Policeman: Well, at least you know that. (hey, what's that supposed to mean?!) Now, I'll need your license, blah, blah, blah...

I give him the necessities, he takes a few notes and then walks around the car and runs my plates.

A few moments pass.

He walks back.

Hands me my license.

Mr. Policeman: (deep growly voice) Slow down.
me: (dumbfounded) You're not giving me a ticket? (that was a ridiculous thing to say, now that I think about it)
Mr. Policeman: No.
me: I haven't ever been given a ticket...
Mr. Policeman: I know, and I wasn't going to be your first. Slow down.

Ha. I didn't even have to squeeze out a tear.

Job well done. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Just how faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast were you traveling "little Miss Innocense" :) :)

MrsRitzB said...

42 in a 35. (but I was merging with exiting free way traffic!!!)

Anonymous said...

Keep up the clean record!! Amazing you got a nice cop.