7.25.2011

Baking Improv

I'm quickly learning to be the master of improvisation.  :)  Our pack-out that we sent from Virginia may not join us for 2-4 months.  That being said, we're living quite sparsely on a VERY limited "hospitality package" the army gave us to make it through these first few months before our stuff arrives.  Think bed sheets, towels, plates, cups, knives, forks, spoons and a set of pots and pans. 

Bread is one of the items on the island that is quite pricey to buy at the store.  Thus, I decided to bake some of my own on Saturday.  Brilliant, no?  Yes!  However, I didn't have a mixer, a mixing bowl, a whisk, measuring cups or measuring spoons.  Even I was surprised that the bread actually tasted good!!  I found a recipe online, guesstimated all my measurements (using one of our drinking glasses, and a dinner spoon) and mixed the dough in a stove-top pot with a fork. 

Now please don't feel sorry for us, or send a care package with these items.  I could quite easily run down to the store to buy them, but I KNOW they will come eventually when our pack-out arrives and I don't want to have two of everything on that day! 

So until then, I will continue to improvise, and hopefully continue to be surprised at the edibility of my science projects!  :)

4 comments:

landry said...

Happy to hear your domestic pursuits on the island! I have to say though...that's my kind of cooking, even in the US. Thinking of you guys.. We have your island picked out on the map on our wall. :)

Cara Grow said...

oops..that was me

Liesl said...

Love it!! It's kinda amazing what little we can truly get by with!

Kenneth Nopp said...

Great job!
Backpacking taught me a few gret things:

A large ziploc can also double to mix batters (ie. pancake batter) multiple times.
You only really need a spoon to eat with
A metal pot to cook, eat, and drink out of
A toilet paper roll
some duct tape
some sting

everything else in life is just there to make it easier