12.30.2008

National Botanical Gardens

You may remember some pictures of the National Botanical Gardens from when Mom and Dad visted (on her blog, because I had forgotten my camera that day)... however, I strolled on down this afternoon to see their decorations for Christmas. Mostly they had placed poinsettias EVERYWHERE, so there wasn't much extra for Christmas... but, they have started a little train village which was fun to look at.
On my way towards the Botanical Gardens, I couldn't resist this gorgeous shot of the Capitol. T'was a beautiful day.
These miniature sculptures are my favorite part... They are made entirely of bark, leaves, nuts, etc. And the details are SO intricate!
Close-up of the dome on the Capitol.
Santa's elf quarters... cute. :)
More elf quarters... I love the pine cones on this one!
A scary moss troll guarding the bridge.
The Smithsonian visitors center
Lincoln Memorial... see him inside? Pretty amazing!
They had some ornaments hanging from the ceiling that were pretty neato too...
Plants outside
One more close up of the Capitol to show you the progress of the scaffolding they are building for the Presidential Inauguration...
Another day in the life of a DC resident... come visit so we can show you around! Peter's neice comes tomorrow for the night... we're looking forward to that!

2 comments:

Diana said...

I hope we can spend more time here next time. I love the models!

Anna said...

Wow, those little sculptures are AWESOME!!! Would have loved to see them. You take some gorgeous photos! Happy New Year! :)

(Sorry for deleting the comment - put it in the wrong post! :P)